Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The first recipe I recall

I am on my way to making my passion of cooking more than just "my" passion....hope you enjoy the ride with me as much as I know I will enjoy myself experimenting and sharing my ideas on food, recipes and more food:-)

My first exposure in the kitchen was taking my brown eyeless teddy to the pantry cupboard of our old house while my mum rushed to prepare our meal, i was probably 5 years old. I stole a unfried pappadam from the cupboard and insisted on feeding my eyeless teddy the pappadam!! Needless to say I got crumbs on the floor from the force feeding of teddy and mum chased me with the rotan:-))

But that didnt keep me away from the kitchen....i grew to love it as i always hovered around the legs of my mum or my dear aunty ally as they made their way in the kitchen and to keep me away from their legs and mobility and to avoid tripping they would keep me busy by asking me to pound something or rather in the "pounder/tumbuk/ami" and that is where I started to boast at the age of 11 that I could make rasam all by myself....just pound every spice i could recognise with some unpeeled garlic and mix it with some brown water (asam) and bring to a boil with a drop of oil. Old indian aunties reading this are cringing I am sure !! Infact my husband does everytime I say I am making rasam...somehow although that is my first memory of my cooking adventure, its almost always certainly fails to impress:-))

Now I really should not be starting off by pointing out my worst recipe but trustme over the years and I mean 20 years later - I am much better in the kitchen....trust me and enjoy the ride.

14 comments:

Minah Drama said...

Hey Milee,
Living your best life means following your passions and dreams. And doing what you love is so much more fun when sharing it with others! Thank you for making me a part of your passion and life. I cant wait to read more of the Misadventures of Milee's Kitchen :-P God Bless

Sophia said...

Missy M.S says;

Milee I thinks its a brilliant project that you have started..It seemed only yesterday during coffee that you were talking about starting a food blogg and kudos to you, its already up...Cant wait for you to photograph your delectable dishes..The process is starting Milee, lets remember to remember..

milee said...

Madam, thanks for being my 1st visitor!! Yes there is nothing better than sharing your passion isn't. I just have checked with you first before naming my blog lah as Misadventures of Milee's Kitchen sounds better:-))

milee said...

Missy M.S always supporting me in "whatever" way:-) When your kitchen is up and running will I be reading your adventures on blog?

Lynn said...

Hi Milee...Wonderful that you've started this blog! You make great meals, the rasam not withstanding. Remember hanging out at your house in Taman Wahyu and baking cakes (I think we did one or two, the chocolate cake)...I loved it. Am looking forward to all your recipes. I know I am going to be a regular visitor :)

milee said...

Hey Lynn I remember those days...it was your choc cake recipe:-) BTW so imaginative la your pseudonym:-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Milee...Wonderful that you've started this blog! You cook up great meals, rasam notwithstanding. Remember hanging out at your house in Taman Wahyu and baking cakes (we did one or two cakes, remember the chocolate cake)...I loved it. Am looking forward to your recipes...Enjoy

Unknown said...

ahhh about time!!!!!.....nxt step is 'sickly sweet'.
p/s im trying the meatloaf tomorrow..hopefuli ivan likes it...fingers crossed:))

milee said...

wow sis so fast you tryin meatloaf!! Please let me know how it turns out. And ssshhhhh about "sickly sweet"....they not only hear us they can also read lah:-)

Bob said...

My dearest Wife,

Good job on making it to cyberspace. What a pleasure this blog would be to all out there in cyberworld.

To All,

I hereby certify that all the recipes are tried and tested. Just look at how i have and am exploding at the seams from all the good food.....

Enjoy the tucker.

milee said...

I swear I didnt pay Joe to say all those things:-)) Thanks babes. And NO you are not bursting at the seams....I AM:-(

Anonymous said...

sis, the vindaloo didnt quite come out as expected.....it was brown rather than red and didnt taste like vindaloo at all:(....poor ivan he was starvin the whole day waitin for me to finish cook....i think its because of the dry chilli....also i dont think i inherited the cookin gene!!....

milee said...

sista, i am sure it must have been the chilies...anyway you definitely have the cooking genes trust me!! Anyway dun give up, try a small portion again and fine tune it....did you have all the ingredients? next time try with chili powder if you can't get good dried chilies....dun give up!! Good try.

Anonymous said...

First of all I would like to say awesome blog!

I had a quick question that I'd like to ask if you do not mind.
I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your mind prior to writing.

I have had a difficult time clearing my thoughts in getting my
thoughts out. I do enjoy writing but it just seems like the
first 10 to 15 minutes are generally wasted just trying to figure out
how to begin. Any recommendations or hints? Thanks!


Also visit my web page; licensed electrician salary toronto